From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 10:33:14

At 08:28 AM 8/12/2002, Thomas Witt wrote:

>In "File and directory recommendations" the rationale given for "Do not
>assume names are case sensitive." is wrong. I agree that there are case
>insensitive filesystems (FAT32 IIRC) but not all Windows fs are case
>insensitive. NTFS for instance is in fact case sensitive, Windows just
>tries to hide this.

For context, the quote is from a series of portability recommendations,
including both:

-- Do not assume names are case sensitive.
-- Do not assume names are case insensitive.

It seems to me those are both valid recommendations for programs which wish
to be widely portable.

So, it really is a question of making the rationale a bit more
precise. I'll do that, based on the comments of other responses.

--Beman