From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 15:54:50

I think your statement is too sweeping. It's a good guideline if:

1. You have to cope with systems that integrate "crash" exceptions with C++
EH
2. They don't provide a workaround, like the ability to handle the "crash"
at the site of detection
3. You hope to recover from these crashes somehow or debugging requirements
mean you have no alternative

My rationale is:

1. We shouldn't advise every programmer to pick a coding style based on
what some misguided implementations do
2. Single-base-class hierarchies are old-fashioned ;-)
3. We shouldn't encourage misguided implementations to propagate
4. Your guideline doesn't always help, and it's too restrictive. The real
problem is interaction with catch(...). Lots of stdlib implementations and
existing code uses catch(...)

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting