From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-19 13:59:32

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:21:38 -0400, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

>I would worry more about the issue Gennaro raises if these macros were
>permanent fixtures for Boost and C++. But for the current release of
>several compilers, there are no BOOST_NO_xxx macros at all, and I would be
>surprised if current releases of any mainstream compiler a year from now
>needed them.

For at least one of them, I would be surprised of the contrary.
Anyhow, that's not the main point :-)

>That isn't to say support for legacy compilers isn't important, but maybe
>we shouldn't ask John and other developers to put much effort into refining
>something that is gradually fading away.

Well, of the two points I raised one concerns documentation only (and
I didn't think it required much effort) and the other one was
something I asked because g++ 2.95 doesn't have the new iostreams. I
just wanted to know if the issue was discussed before and whether I
could expect a suitable macro to be defined in the future or not. Now
I know the answer to the second question is no :-)

P.S.: As to g++ versions, does someone know if this is correct?

#if defined (__GNUC__) && __GNUC__ <= 2 && __GNUC_MINOR__ <= 95
 #define HAS_OLD_IOSTREAMS
#endif

Or, maybe, just this?

#if __GNUC__ < 3