From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-20 14:59:00

Hi Gennaro,

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Gennaro Prota wrote:
gennar>
gennar> Anyhow these are the main issues:
gennar>
gennar> a) you prefer making all data members (m_bits, m_num_bits,
gennar> m_num_blocks) and base classes public for compilers that have
gennar> BOOST_NO_MEMBER_TEMPLATE_FRIENDS problems. There are 6 (now 5)
gennar> functions that are involved in this problem: operator==, operator<,
gennar> operator >, to_block_range and dump_to_string, which need to access
gennar> the internal representation but are currently not members.
[snip]

I respect your opinion, but chose to keep the code as it is now in this
regard. This is not an important issue and enough time has already been
spent on it.

gennar> b) many member functions are still extremely slow and now I don't have
gennar> enough time to reimplement them.

Do you not have enough time over the next couple days, or do you not have
enough time over the next few months? There is no rush. It is not the end
of the world if all the optimizations do not go out this release. I am
perfectly happy with the optimizations going in slowly as you or others
have the time to put them in.

gennar> c) the functions dealing with strings have problems with types
gennar> different from char (think for instance of to_string on a machine
gennar> where the encoding for chars is EBCDIC and the encoding for wchar_t is
gennar> Unicode). I was working to a solution but, again, I had to stop.

Please, continue.

gennar> There are other issues but this are the most important.
gennar>
gennar>
gennar> P.S.: precisely, can changes submitted on day 22? Or is August 21 the
gennar> last useful day?

There is no last useful day. August 22 is just the next release. There
will be another release a few month later, and another in a few months
after that. Also, people can always grab the latest code out of CVS.

Thanks again for your work on dynamic bitset.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608