From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-30 09:32:28

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Stewart" <stewart_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Re: [Libcwd-devel] libcwd and Boost

> From: Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]>
> >
> [snipped]
>
> > At this moment the interface is as follows:
> >
> > void demangle_type(char const* input, std::string& output);
> > void demangle_symbol(char const* input, std::string& output);
>
> I find that putting output parameters first is a better
> arrangement. First, because they are somewhat unusual, they will
> stand out a bit better. Second, putting them first allows for
> default parameters when desired.
>
> Based upon my allocator comments above, I think not returning a
> string is appropriate. Given your interface, an allocator isn't
> needed unless I've missed something.

Why is it that much important for this particular library not to resort to
the internal default string allocation.
Whatever it is, is preventing the simpler interface:

std:.string demangle_type(char const* input);

which IMO is a lot much user-friendly.

If I will be forced to explicitly create string objects to use as
placeholders for the result, I would like to have a compelling reason.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]
www.gosierra.com