From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-04 12:42:48

Doug,

An interval is not necessarily the same as an uncertainty interval
(being arithmetic or not...)

So, interval arithmetic is not probabilistic arithmetics, although the
latter arithmetics would be both useful and fun.

As I wrote in a reply to Peter's mail, his suggestion is not even an
equivalence relation, since it lacks reflexivity, e.g., [1 3] == [1, 3]
does not hold...

In a probabilistic arithmetic, one would need (as suggested by someone
earlier in this thread) a distribution description, such as
"interval<double, guassian_distribution>". In such a beast, with the
"extremely certain" philosophy, we could only state that an interval is
equivalent to another one if they contain one single coinciding point,
such as [1, 1] == [1, 1].

But, then again, that is not what we are dealing with here. We are
dealing with real tangible goods: intervals, quite easily defined, and
compared. [a, b] == [c, d] iff a == c and b == d.

/David