From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-16 07:29:11

"Hillel Y. Sims" wrote:

> "Eric Woodruff" <Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > When return values enter the picture, join needs to become the return
> value
> > accessor, allowed to be called more than once
>
> If this is the case, how would the thread library know when to finally clean
> up the finished thread's resources?

When the last reference goes away (i.e. managing thread objects via
smart pointers; I'd even choose *AUTO*_ptr like move semantics by
default with some "shared ownership" adapter for {current} standard
containers and algorithms). http://www.terekhov.de/mythread.c

---
int my_thread_join( my_thread_t mt,void** value_ptr );
int my_thread_tryjoin( my_thread_t mt,void** value_ptr );
int my_thread_timedjoin( my_thread_t mt,
                         struct timespec* timeout,
                         void** value_ptr );
---
regards,