From: Gabriel Dos Reis (gdr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-21 11:03:44

"Fernando Cacciola" <fcacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:

[...]

| > 3. Would multi-array replace std::valarray<T>? If so, could valarray be
| > removed from the standard in favor of multi-array or something even
| > better?
| Don't know about multi-array, but I think that something will happen to
| valarray<> in C++0x. Either it is removed or rewritten.

Surely, it would take some resistance to remove valarray<> and to
improve it ;-)

FWIW, I would vote for improvement than removal.

But Beman is right: if no one works on numerics in C++, there is no
much improvement, even with the best intention from those on the
committee.

| > 4. Are Boost developers interested in adding more numerical support for
| > their array classes, like root-finding, derivatives, integrals,
| > interpolation, curve fitting, solving differential equations, fourier
| > transforms, statistics?

Some of these topics have been proved by practice, some still
constitute active research fields; for the latter category, I would
recommand caution.

-- Gaby