From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-23 03:35:23

Beman,
I'm starting to think that exceptions thrown by the filesystem library
are too coarse grained --- there is many types of errors, all of them
result in the same class thrown, and the only way to tell what happened
is to look at 'what()' results.

To be concrete, suppose I call 'rename' and it throws. There are at
least to reasons of failure: (1) source file does not exist and (2)
source and destination are on different drives/filesystems. In the
second case I'd want to call 'copy', followed by 'remove'. However, how
can I detect that the second case caused the error?

- Volodya