From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-23 15:37:43

At 04:12 PM 9/23/2002, Misha Bergal wrote:

>> Is it possible to open (and then read) such a file using std::fopen()?
>>
>> If the answer in yes, then the Filesystem Library should be
>> able to traffic
>> in those file names too, using the same mechanisms (8.3 names
>> or whatever).
>> This rationale will be particularly important for operating
>> systems which
>> allow MBCS names.
>
>OK, suppose for a minute that I have to implementations on Win32:
>
>1. In first one std::fopen cannot open Unicode named file
>2. In second one std::fopen can - using UTF-8
>
>If I understand you correctly - in first case FileSystem library won't
>support Unicode names and in second one it will. I am confused how -
>FileSystem will switch it's internal implementation based on the
mechanism
>std::fopen uses. But FileSystem library doesn't have access to the
>internals
>of std::fopen implementation.
>I just don't see the way it might work - probably, I misunderstood what
you
>were saying.

I was talking about other operating systems (which might need their own
implementation of boost::filesystem), not about Win32 or the current
implementation.

If an operating system accepts multibyte character file and directory names
(as I think some of the Asian operating systems do), then a
boost::filesystem implementation is obliged to also accept multibyte
character file and directory names.

--Beman