From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-24 14:32:25

--- "Victor A. Wagner, Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Let's start with I'm a more than a little miffed at what I've found. At
> whom my miffedness should be directed is unclear.

Hey, no reason to be upset. Things grow, and what was acceptable 10 years ago
is slowly becoming unworkable: sticking include files in a "global namespace."

> It _appears_ that the problem happens because in my installation of python,
> the file:
>
> C:\Python22\include\Python.h
>
> contains the line:
>
> #include "codecs.h"
>
> Now, it searching around my disk for files called codecs.h, I find:
>
> C:\Python22\include\codecs.h
> -and-
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\Codecs.h
>
> now and old *nix programmer would say "so what"? the files mentioned are
> codecs.h and Codecs.h see the difference in spelling? Alas, not all
> filesystems treat them as different.

Here is what you do:

- Convince the C and C++ standard folks to move everything into the "include
name space std"; e.g.:

#include <std/stdio.h>
#include <std/vector>

Doesn't that look neat?

- Convince the Python folks to move everything into the "include namespace
python"; e.g.:

#include <python/codecs.h>

Other than that I am not sure what to do. The bjam toolsets play sophisticated
tricks with include paths. Maybe you can learn something by looking at these
files?

Ralf