From: Björn Karlsson (Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-26 02:21:15

> From: David Abrahams [mailto:dave_at_[hidden]]
[snip]
> Maybe we should be using the SF patch manager for these
> things, so that
> patches don't risk being forgotten if not immediately
> applied. On the other
> hand, some projects which do use the patch manager have a backlog of
> not-applied patches.

I'd say this should be optional - some maintainers read all posts pertaining
to the libraries, be it patches, requests, questions, or something else; and
immediately apply correct patches. Some patches aren't patches at all, some
doesn't solve the problem, some apply to several libraries, some need
further discussion or clarification...The point is, only part of the patches
are applied as-is, and it can be too limiting with a one-way media such as
the patch manager on SourceForge.

That said, I reckon some developers would like to use that feature; I'm
currently updating the homepage library tables with maintenance info, and
I'd be happy to add a column for that states if the library uses the patch
manager. So, I'd like some feedback from developers on this; let me know
(privately) if you're going to use the patch manager.

[Note: The precondition for the above is of course that usage of the patch
manager is optional (for both developers and users), which I assume and
definitely think it would (and should) be.]

Bjorn Karlsson