From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-01 06:23:42

From: "Markus Schöpflin" <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>

> Hmm, as you asked I investigated a little further. Seems like the vacpp
> toolset needs another fix. To quote from the documentation for vacpp:
>
> <quote>
> The default option, -bdynamic, ensures that the C library (lib.c) links
> dynamically. To avoid possible problems with unresolved linker errors
> when linking the C library, you must add the -bdynamic option to the end
> of any compilation sections that use the -bstatic option.
> </quote>
>
> This looks like we could unconditionally add -bdynamic to the end of the
> xlc-Link-action. If we decide to do this, I will do a clean regression
> run before commiting that fix.

Sounds good to me.

> But I still think that the Jamfile should'nt globally force requirements
> just because a specific compiler needs them.

Given the nature of the problem it seemed likely to me that more compilers
would have the same requirement. For details, ask the Metrowerks guys about
why there's no locale support in their dynamic library implementation.

Anyway, I think it would be a bad idea to change it from static to dynamic
on the release branch at this late date. Who knows what could break?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting