From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-01 08:43:09

David Abrahams wrote:

> I'd like to propose the following changes:
>
> 1. The entire release candidate branch should be tagged with
> RC_whatever_last_merge immediately after the branch is created. That can be
> a big help when multiple changes need to be merged back into the trunk,
> because you can just do:
>
> cd $BOOST_ROOT
> cvs update -jRC_whatever_last_merge -jRC_whatever

Doesn't the flag -f do what you want event without tagging the release
branch after creation?

cvs update -f -jRC_whatever_last_merge -jRC_whatever

> 2. There should not be a strict rule that patches go into the release
> branch before they go into the main trunk. In fact, if anything it should
> go the other way. Shouldn't some changes get a chance to be tested "in
> situ" before we make a change to the release candidatee, which is supposed
> to be more stable than the trunk?

I don't follow your reasoning that it should go the other way. If you
find a bug in the release branch you should fix and test it in the
release branch and then merge it to the main trunk. This makes sure that
the fix doesn't break anything in the release branch.

Markus