From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-02 06:00:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toon Knapen" <toon.knapen_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 3:33 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] bjam instruction-set specific build

> On Tuesday 01 October 2002 18:30, David Abrahams wrote:
> > Try (in sh):
> >
> > export BUILD=debug\ "<architecture>x86"\ "<instruction-set>pentium4"
> > bjam ...
>
> This works in sh and korn-shell ! Great !
>
> But bjam -sBUILD=debug\ "<architecture>x86"\ "<instruction-set>pentium4"
> does'nt and I don't see why ? Neither does the single quote suggestion of
> Rene.

Because command-line arguments are different than shell variable setting in
your shell.

> Do both work on windows (I suppose you mainly tested on windows)

No, on windows you only need "-sBUILD=debug <architecture>x86
<instruction-set>pentium4"

This has nothing to do with bjam itself; it's just an issue of how your
shell breaks up arguments on the command-line and passes them to the
underlying program. If there's no way to pass a command-line argument with
spaces in it, you're out-of-luck. RTFM on your shell, I think.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting