From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-04 12:22:38

Robert Ramey wrote:
> a) I do appreciate the view that an upperlevel module that works though an interface
> of base class pointers should not have any dependency on derived implementations. The
> current archive specific registration system violates that view.

Good.

> I appreciate the appeal the idea that each class just register itself with a global
> singleton. . On the other hand it does create the need for a singleton of global scope -
> something that I generally don't prefer. Given the above however I am leaning to provide
> such a facility.
>
> b) I do not believe that this enough to necesitate program independent method of registration -
> that is as system dependent upon type_info. I believe the desire to implement such a thing
> is related to the view that it could be used to implement plug-ins.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Do you mean that registration
mechanism which allows the same arhive to be read/written by several
programs is not necessary? Then I don't agree. For example, one program
does lengthy caclulation and stores some data, and another is
subsequently (and repeatedly) run, and reads the stored data.

In this case, if you don't want to ask user to assign unique ids to all
classes in both programs, then you should do it yourself. I don't know
anything except for typeid, which can help with it.

- Volodya