From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-08 19:47:05

At 05:15 PM 10/8/2002, David Abrahams wrote:

>> Sure it makes sense, but the net result was that a link which worked
>> with the two most common browsers (IE and Netscape) no longer worked.
>
>I don't see what point you're trying to make. I'm using Tidy as a
>validity checker/fixer. Configured the way it is, it's doing its job
>perfectly. There's nothing scary to me about the fact that it says
>"this link is invalid, I'm changing it to something legal". I could
>turn that check off, but then I would be writing invalid HTML.

Turning invalid, but working, HTML into valid, but non-working, HTML
doesn't seem like a practical approach.

It seems to me the solution is to apply the fix to both source and target
files. Applying to only one or the other just results in links broken for
practical purposes, even though the links are theoretically valid.

Applying the fix to both files results in links with are both valid, in the
sense of meeting specs, and working, in the sense that browsers can use
them as intended. One without the other isn't helpful.

--Beman