From: Alkis Evlogimenos (alkis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-10 16:41:56

On Thursday 10 October 2002 12:21 pm, David Abrahams wrote:
> > I will soon have a daily cron job running on a vanilla Radhat 8.0 (glibc
> > 2.2.93, gcc 3.2). I am planning on installing a couple of more compilers
> > to this machine, but I fail to see how I can create a regression results
> > report for different versions of gcc on the same html file (the different
> > versions will be chosen by passing the compiler the -V <version> option).
>
> Alkis,
>
> It turns out that there's no reliable way to set up gcc to use -V. If
> you have an installation which is using -V (meaning that you've
> installed multiple versions of GCC without using --with-prefix= during
> the configure step, or you used the same --with-prefix=), then
> probably all versions that you have installed are broken in some
> way. It may *seem* to be working for you, but it will break on valid
> programs. Trust me, I've been around and around with the GCC
> developers about this.

I have done some rudimentary test on another box and everything seemed to work
fine if I added the correct libstdc++ to the library search path. But since
it seems that it will be easier if I have each gcc instance in its own area,
I will go with that.

> So the first thing you need to do is reinstall all of your
> GCCs. Configure each one --with-prefix= something different. I use
> /usr/local/gcc-<version>. Unfortunately there's no prescribed way to
> deinstall what you've already mis-installed :-( You just have to pick
> through the filesystem and delete things.

We may start with just gcc3.2 for the moment and add more compilers as needed.

> Second, you should make a new toolset file for each version of
> GCC. However, you don't need to copy the whole toolset file. The
> enclosed gcc-3.0.4-tools.jam is what I use for gcc-3.0.4 on my system,
> where the normal gcc toolset works for gcc-3.2 (in Boost.Build v2,
> this will be a lot easier).

I assume the jam file goes under $BOOST_ROOT/tools/build. Is this file going
to create a new toolset named 'gcc-3.0.4' (so a bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc-3.0.4")
will do the work?

--
Alkis