From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-10 19:55:26

I am a heavy user of the Boost.Python library on a variety of
platforms. Recently I started getting strange "unresolved symbol"
warnings from the Compaq Tru64 cxx linker, followed by "unresolved
symbol" run-time errors from dlopen(). For example:

ld:
Warning: Unresolved:
<unnamed namespace>::_1
<unnamed namespace>::_2

ImportError: dlopen: wavelengths.so: symbol "__7_2__24__N1symbols_cpp_0155a56e"
unresolved

Since the exact same code works on several other platforms (Unices and
Windows) I thought this must be a linker bug. Therefore I sent a bug
report to Compaq c/c++ compiler team. They quickly responded and
actively investigated the problem. After some back and forth they just
sent me this message:

> _1 is defined in boost/boost/bind/placeholders.hpp.
>
> I'm guessing that either this should be made static or it should be
> made extern and the definition should be put in a .cpp file.

I am lost here. Could someone please advise?

Related question: Is the use of symbols with leading underscores
permitted by the ISO standard?

Thanks!
        Ralf