From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-14 10:23:00

At 08:42 PM 10/13/2002, Joel de Guzman wrote:

> [...]

While space/speed comparisons are always interesting, there are other
characteristics which often drive the decision as to which parser is best
for an application. For example,

   * Usefulness and malleability of error messages, particularly when
     dying on the first error encountered isn't an option.
   * Ability to make small changes to the parsed language without
     disastrous rewrites of existing parser code and/or tables.
   * Can easily parse local contradictions (always AB,
     except in certain expressions its BA).

My past experience has been that recursive decent parsers are very strong
in those kinds of "quality" areas. I'd like to get some indication of how
Spirit does with such quality related issues.

--Beman