From: anthony.williamsNOSPAM_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-10-17 03:51:54

David Abrahams writes:
> I suggest the following simple rewrite:
>
> "An object [1.8, 1.9] is accessible from multiple threads if it
> is of static storage duration (static, extern) [3.7.1], or if a
> pointer or reference to it is accessible from multiple threads."
>
> End of story.

Except that it isn't --- the pointers and references need not themselves be
accessible from multiple threads for the pointed- or referred-to object to be
accessible from mutlple threads, if the pointers or references are _copies_ of
values accessible from multiple threads.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Senior Software Engineer, Beran Instruments Ltd.