From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-18 02:48:09

This is a very concise summary of the problem of different paper sizes and a
link to it would be useful addition in the guide to documentation.

But I am not sure it really tells us HOW to achieve the desired result.

I am sure I am not the only one using MS Word to create and edit html files.
My document prints OK using IE6 on A4 paper - but how do I ensure it is OK on US
letter? (Apart from waiting for the transatlantic squeals :-)

A tedious method using IE6 appears to be to set the paper type to A4, and print
preview every page. This revealed that even my own document's table would't
print on my own paper size! :-((

and then to change the paper size to US letter and repeat (more of the table
showed, but not quite all!)

I then followed the advice in ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2346.txt page 2 and
used the suggested minimal margins for A4 portrait left & right 20 mm, top &
bottom 33 mm (landscape left and right 33 mm, top & bottom 15 mm).

The suggested margins for US letter portrait are left 21, right 26, top & bottom
15 mm, landscape left & right 15 mm, top and bottom 21 mm.

Also I changed the Word Table properties, table, size, preferred width 90 % in
percent (not pixels).

Print preview of some long lines of code were still cut off before their end
without any warning except that they wrap in the Word version - but are OK on
IE6 screen display.

After tediously reading all through the document twice, this seems to make the
table print preview OK in both A4 and US letter.

But the proof of the pudding is in the printing.

There must be a better way of doing this :-(

Paul

PS I'll repeat my kind offer to change spelling to color and center etc if the
US changes to A4 paper ;-)

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]