From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-18 07:24:17

"Paul A. Bristow" <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> This is a very concise summary of the problem of different paper sizes
> and a link to it would be useful addition in the guide to
> documentation.
>
> But I am not sure it really tells us HOW to achieve the desired
> result.
>
> I am sure I am not the only one using MS Word to create and edit html
> files. My document prints OK using IE6 on A4 paper - but how do I
> ensure it is OK on US letter? (Apart from waiting for the
> transatlantic squeals :-)

Paul, that's your problem right there. MS Word doesn't really create
what most of us would think of as HTML. What it creates is more like
an HTML shell with vendor-specific extensions which are also
recognized by IE6, and all font sizes and dimensions of the document
are hardcoded. The upshot is that most of the things you expect from
an HTML document don't work. In particular, the document will not
respond correctly to browser window resizing or to changing your
preferred fonts/sizes.

--
                    David Abrahams
Building C/C++ Extensions for Python: Dec 9-11, Austin, TX