From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-18 17:01:01

Other algorithms that i have and can submit implementations to besides
several of the mentioned ones is:

/// convert a wstring to a string
std::string to_string(const std::wstring& str);
std::string to_string(const wchar_t* str);

/// convert a string to a wstring
std::string to_wstring(const std::string& str);
std::string to_wstring(const char* str);

/// Hash a string of arbitrary length to a size_t
/// "Fast Hashing of Variable-Length Text Strings"
/// (Peter K. Pearson: Communications of the ACM.
/// Volume 33, No 6, June 1990)
size_t to_hashval(const std::string& str);
size_t to_hashval(const char* str);

> There is interest and has been discussion of this type
> of library in the past. Darin Adler and others have done
> some interesting work. Take a look at:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?STLAlgorithmE
xtensions/StringAlgorithms

> It would be nice if someone would take the lead and
> get this stuff into the sandbox where we could shake
> it out and beef it up for review.

I'm willing to help out with coordinating an effort like this. Can we settle
on a minimum list of algorithms in this utility library?

Regards
/Michel