From: Scott Canady (s_canady_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-22 15:50:04

I've been looking at the rational class in Boost, and
I have some questions about it.
1.) Is ::boost::math::gcd(...) slated to replace the
current separate implementation of gcd(...) in
rational.hpp? I looked at the archives, and if I
remember correctly, the new version caused problems in
MSVC 6. Does this problem still exist? I changed the
version I'm using and compiled it under gcc 3 without
any hiccups, so I'm just kind of curious about this.
2.) There have been some discussions in the archive
about the way that the current implementation handles
overflow errors. One proposal, which I think has
validity, was to create policies that would handle
overflows themselves, allowing users to create their
own policy classes to be used with rational. Is
anyone doing any work in this area? Are there any
other ideas for solving this issue?
3.) I wouldn't mind having the option of toning down
the rational class's method for dealing with a
denominator of 0. Is there anyone else who would like
to see a version with possibly a bool NaN() routine,
or something like it, to deal with divide-by-zero a
little less harshly?
4.) Does anyone know of a rational class that has some
of these qualities? Any information you might have
will be helpful to me. Thanks in advance for any
info.
-Scott