From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-23 03:25:24

Dirk Gerrits wrote:

> [...]
> I think I'd prefer the other notation because it allows you to use
> compile-time constants as indices.

So would I, but I'm afraid I can't turn lead to gold. ;)

> Perhaps you could offer both a preferred syntax and a compatible
> syntax in the spirit of Boost.Function and Boost.Signals?

If both syntaxes were realizable, I would certainly consider it. As it
stands, someone considerably more clever than I would have to make my
original proposal work. :( It's not just VC6 that wouldn't like it.
I'm afraid there might not be any legal way to do what I suggested in
C++. In particular, foo<n> can only name a type, not an object. And as
far as I know, you can't call the subscript operator on a type. I guess
that's what happens when you talk first and think later. ;)

Dave