From: Darryl Green (green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-24 18:52:48

I don't know about Andrei's projects, but my current one has a small team
(6) and a small target: 32Mbytes of mass :-) storage, 128Mbytes of RAM. Our
hardware vendor considers this to be a "fat" hardware configuration. We are
using boost libs on the very basis that we only get what we ask for and no
more - unlike various bloatware "frameworks". I am very impressed with how
successful this has been to date. One example is that we ditched ACE and
have built the pieces of it that we need on an as-required basis using the
expressive power and low cost (codesize in particular) of relevant boost
libs. We just threw a regexp into the code for a trivial bit of parsing (cgi
parameters) and whammo - code size is up by a very significant amount. We
cant afford to use it - while we anticipate more use of regexp's in the
code, it is never going to be a major part of the codebase. If every lib
that we used to do some small thing added 500K to the code size we would
have -ve memory available.

Regards
Darryl Green.