From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-25 10:36:21

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I don't claim I'm a guru, but I am trying to drive this issue to the max. I
> am mildly surprised that some people pretend that that's not a problem. As
> the many recent posts on the subject prove it: the issue can't be tuned out
> of existence.

The many recent posts, up until John Maddock finally posted some hard
data about the library's real impact on program size, proved
nothing. Many were full of hyperbole and lacked rigor; some people
were sketching redesigns of the regex library before even knowing if
there was really a problem. I thought it was important to counteract
alarmist FUD before people started posting links to the thread in
support of the argument that most Boost libraries are bloated
behemoths whose designers ignore issues of code size. If you're trying
to imply I was pretending program size is not a serious issue, please
take it back.

-Dave

--
                    David Abrahams