From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-26 08:22:32

From: "Eugene Lazutkin" <eugene.lazutkin_at_[hidden]>
> > Just for the sake of argument, let's say that I could implement my
> > own regex-like needs in 25K instead of the 'bloated' 50K from regex++
> > ... are you really saying that the extra (let's be pessimistic and
> > round it up) 10 seconds will stop a users from downloading an app?
>
> Hand-made code was about 1k --- we didn't require full-blown regexp on
> dynamic patterns. Anyway, I am really saying that space considerations are
> still valid in age of Internet. In our case it was not a function of money
> ("1G of HDD now costs N times less that in 1962!"), it was function of
> user's patience. Please see below.

Strange discussion. It is obvious that the best custom code matching custom
requirements can never be larger or slower than generic code with a large
user base matching a wider set of requirements. If you try to design a
"regex lite" it will inevitably evolve into something very similar to
Boost.Regex or GRETA, unless you ignore user feedback, in which case the
library will be ignored by the users.