From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrewalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-26 13:35:30

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > If you're trying to imply I was pretending program size is not a
> > > serious issue, please take it back.
> >
> > Why all the defensiveness?
>
> Possibly just too little sleep at work. However, when someone posts:
>
> "I am mildly surprised that some people pretend that that's not a
> problem."
>
> one begins to wonder who "some people" are. AFAICT I was the only
> person who posted anything that could be construed as minimizing the
> issue up to that point...

I hope this won't be seen as pointing fingers here, but Edward Diener put it
in the most explicit terms that 500 KB is not an important issue nowadays.
Something that I also agree with, in certain contexts.

To me, the issue is closed because recent measurements showed much better
numbers at least for static linking.

> If you're talking about "some (other) people" I withdraw my request
> that you take it back, and instead ask that you briefly review the
> thread and make sure you know which posts you were referring to.
>
> Given recent events I'm reluctant to use the term "sniping", but
> that's sorta what it felt like.

Ok, this gets too complicated :o). In all honesty, there wasn't the last
intention to make any sneaky/snipy (sic!) remarks. I understand "sniping" is
when X insinuates that Y is guilty of something really bad. But to consider
that 500 KB is a lot or not is not at all a bad thing.

See you in Vancouver!

Andrei

--
All new!  THE C++ Seminar: Oct. 28-30 in Vancouver, WA.
http://www.thecppseminar.com/