From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-30 21:52:57

What do we mean by "literate programming"?

I see three distinct interpretations:

1. (Real) Literate Programming - where documentation is default; one
needs to escape into code mode (by "\begin{code}", "<code-snippet>" or
similar). The benefits is that you tend to document the code a lot more,
but the tools (e.g. compiler) needs to either understand this literately
lifted format or have the source preprocessed. See the LHS format in
Haskell for an example of this.

2. Extended Comments - where one introduces special tags in comments,
often just before members (methods or variables) or classes. See Javadoc
and Doxygen (?) for examples.

3. Documentation Macros - where one uses a high-level macro package in a
documentation tool to embed source code in a uniform way. There exist a
lot of programming macro libraries for LaTeX.

(1) and (2) does not require an additional document, and thus avoid
inconsistencies between specification and code, but (3) is more powerful
solution in that it does not obfuscate the code with specification
information and extensive documentation.

Whatever the alternative, there seems to be two different uses of this
"literate conglomerate of specification and code":

A. Create human-readable documentation, often in conjunction with other
document parts generated by hand in the same format as either the source
format or some intermediate format.

B. Intra- and cross-referencing. The latter form of referencing should
be highly valuable to Boost, to have an automated Super Indexer, in
essence making all the documents one document (it could even be
generated as one single document, in the abstract sense, i.e, document
<> file).

The "conjunction" part of (A) requires that there exist an
(intermediate) format that is fairly easy to read and create for humans
(even though we are developers, I like to classify us as humans...).
Such intermediate formats include LaTeX and HTML. I argue that a more
structured (than XHTML, that is) XML format is not easy to read or
create.

The (B) use, on the other hand, favors XML-like structures, since the
less visual, the easier to reference...

The balance act is to find intermediate formats that satisfies both (A)
and (B) using one (or many) of the approaches (1), (2) and (3). And, all
this while not extending the transformation chain beyond sustainability
(automation and platform independence).

One way to achieve a (2) + (3) + (A) + (B) is to:

1. Use Doxygen tags in code

2. Use Doxygen to generate LaTeX style (.sty)

3. Find and/or write a C++ macro package for LaTeX which must be
"compatible" with (2) (only once...)

4. Use the macros in (3) in extending the deliverable from (2)

5. Use Doxygen to generate HTML

6. Use a quite shallow XSLT specification to create an index from (5)
(one might need to use a tool like Tidy to actually get to XHTML...)

(4) will give us a complete specification document in LaTeX and (5) will
give us a browsable documentation.

I admit that this process might not be straight-forward, and that a pure
XML solution would handle (B) much better, and also allow for other
automated cross-referencing.

/David