From: Neal D. Becker (nbecker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-31 08:23:00

    Peter> Anthony Williams writes:
>> IOW, both DocBook and (La)TeX can be used to write documents that
>> can be transformed into whatever output you require, but the
>> techniques are different.

    Peter> The difference is that powerful SGML or XML parsers are readily
    Peter> available and work reliably, so you can trivially write any kind of
    Peter> post-processor to generate fancy cross-references, check for errors,
    Peter> inconsistencies in the _content_, and so on ... While you _can_ do all
    Peter> these things in LaTeX as well, it is a completely different level of
    Peter> complexity to actually do it.

I believe the opposite situation is true in many environments.
Particularly on unix and linux, LaTeX is pervasive and XML is spotty.