From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-31 11:17:12

Alex,

I think one other concern with XML variants, beside the sometimes
unnecessary end tag, is the typographical edginess of "<" and ">". This
might sound whimsical, but I believe the negative attitude towards XML
w.r.t readaility and writability is enforced by "<" sticking out,
typographically separating the document into chunks, while the smoother
"\" does not have that edgy affect.

It is important, although debate about this would include whimsical
psychological arguments, that the flow is not disturbed too much, which
happens with XML and, to a lesser extent, with SGML.

The page-breaker problem of LaTeX is a nuisance, though.

/David