From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-31 17:28:45

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> At 05:18 PM 10/30/2002, Edward Diener wrote:
>
> >Nonetheless, some sort of record of changes from release to release
would

> >be
> >most valuable. It would be a great help to those who need to update
their
> >own implementations based on Boost's implementations, especially, as in
> my
> >case, when changes have been made to a Boost implementation for one's
own
> >private version and a new release of Boost is issued.
> >
> >Needless to say it would also be a benefit to those who are using a new
> >Boost release and want to understand explicitly what has changed from
the
> >previous release and what new functionality has been added and where.
> >
> >I know from my own experience that it is hard for developers to keep
> track
> >of every specific change as they develop a product, but I see little to
> no
> >indication of changes made between releases of Boost in its various
> >libraries, and find this lack of information disconcerting and
> unproductive
> >to Boost usage.
>
> Perhaps developers should be encouraged to add a change list to their
> documentation, listing changes between releases which might be of interest
> to users. For consistency, call it changes.html and put it in the
library's
> documentation directory. With a link from the main docs page.

I would encourage that as an effective means of telling users what has
changed. I know I do that for my own distributed libraries and I see no
reason why Boost developers should not do such a thing themselves as a
courtesy to their users. It would also be a great help in understanding what
new features a library has added, if any, with a new Boost release.