From: Martin Weiser (weiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-01 04:34:19

On Freitag, 1. November 2002 07:06, Daryle Walker wrote:
> All the talk on adaptive methods is nice. But don't forget that some
> users don't have closed form functions (with possible traits), some
> users just have data points, and there's nothing we can do about it.
> So we need an integration interface(s) for data-point-only users too.

Sure. It's just that I attack the problems first which are of most
interest for me.

The discussion on an interface for RAI (random access integration,
enabling adaptive integration) is on the way. Dan seems to like the
interface I suggested well enough to build upon. Maybe we should think of
an interface for FAI (fixed access integration) along the same lines.
Would you like something like

template <class InIter>
FixedIntegrator<InIter>
integrate(InIter first, InIter last, double dx);

and FixedIntegrator is an option-setting integration class similar to the
one designed for RAI, providing an implicit conversion to

typename std::iterator_traits<InIter>::value_type

What do you think? Do we need to provide integration points for
non-equidistant data as well? Is this case common enough?

Yours,
Martin

--
Dr. Martin Weiser            Zuse Institute Berlin
weiser_at_[hidden]                Scientific Computing