From: Anthony Williams (anthony.williamsNOSPAM_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-13 03:18:38

Edward Diener writes:
> 1) Are the get(), put() functions somewhere, like in the boost namespace ?
> Is there a doc for the parameters these functions take, or is it the intent
> that if one wants to use them, one looks in the source code to figure them
> out ?

As Jeremy said earlier, the get() and put() functions can go anywhere they can
be reached by argument-dependent lookup when called as
get(property_map,key_value) or put(property_map,key_value,new_value).

The parameters are as I just showed --- i.e. the description is in terms of
valid call expressions, not in terms of actual function signatures.

> 2) What is the necessary interface to a property map which you mention
> above. I see property map categories, property traits, property map types,
> but I am missing an understanding from the documentation of the necessary
> interface for creating a property map ?

To meet the concept described in Jeremy's docs, a property map must define the
necessary property_traits for its chosen category, and it must support get()
and/or put() and maybe operator[] as necessary for its chosen category.

> Finally I would like a non-partisan answer from you to my next question and
> I am perfectly willing to be wrong and accept the fact that my lack of
> understanding of "concept" based explanations are at fault. Do you feel that
> the answers to my 2 questions are readily apparent to most intelligent C++
> programmers from reading the property map docs ?

As Jan Langer pointed out, there are specific pages for each of the property
map categories. If you missed these you will have difficulty piecing
everything together.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Senior Software Engineer, Beran Instruments Ltd.