From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-17 14:42:32

I'll respond to all 3 messages by this.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gennaro Prota" <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]>

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:22:20 +0100, Thorsten Ottosen
> <nesotto_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> >Yes, but note that having both is less fortunate. Either we agree that
> >library writers check preconditions and then
> >clients don't or we agree that clients check preconditions and library
> >writers don't. One reason that C is such
> >a pain in the *** to use is because its the cliets responsibility to
check
> >conditions , e.g.
> >
> >int * i = malloc( sizeof( i ) );
> >assert( i );
>
> Well, apart from the C-style void*->int* conversion and the curious
> sizeof(i) instead of sizeof(int), weren't you speaking of
> preconditions? :-)

Well, my point is that if you put the check in the library, then you do it
once; if you
don't put it there, then you do it n times. It does not matter what the
check is.

> Anyhow one of the reasons why C++ (or C if you want to talk about it)
> is the way we all know is that it does its best to avoid unnecessary
> costs: "you do not pay for what you don't use". In a situation where
> you are absolutely sure that no precondition is violated you don't
> want the library to check that for you. C++ programmers are not the
> kind of guys who like range-checking on vector::operator[] when they
> have something like:
>
> for (std::size_t i = 0; i < v.size(); ++i)
> std::cout << vect[i] << '\n';

Maybe we just don't understand each other. It would still be useful to
have a range check in the debug version. Maybe I have misunderstood
something
about the stanard, but
shouldn't assert( i < size ) be compiled away in a release version? It will
still
catch bugs while you're developing and give no overhead otherwise. Don't
you think debug iterators is better than a core dump?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:53:52 -0500, David Abrahams
<dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>Not all preconditions are effectively checkable

then how should the client check them? I assume the client cannot check the
preconditions any better than the library.