From: Andrew Koenig (ark_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 10:14:49

>> That fact does not gainsay what I said earlier: It is not
>> possible to license public-domain material.

Joel> I think we are in agreement...it is meaningless or impossible to license
Joel> public-domain material...however, just the act of putting a license
Joel> notice in the public-material is enough to make it a derivative work
Joel> which you can copyright and then license...

I think not. I'm pretty sure that the addition has to be intellectually
significant, and if the license agreement is all that's added, there's
nothing to stop someone from simply taking it out.