From: Wesley W. Terpstra (terpstra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 12:12:09

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:59:53PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> I'm not a database expert, so my knowledge may be just rusty. However, I
> never heard about composite types in relational tables, and never seen
> anything like that in MySQL. Looking at MySQL docs right now, I indeed see
> no mention of composite types. Could you clarify, preferably with concrete
> SQL syntax.

SQL is not the only database. Other databases (mine for instance) do support
composite types in keys and values.

> How this mapping will be defined? Can you give some examples? Especially,
> why this mapping can be defined in the same way as for serialization (given
> additional "begin_composite/end_composite" hooks?

See my mail of a few moments ago; I just solved this issue.

> >>Of course, you might have Berkeley DB or something like that, which is
> >>on disk map<string, string>. But in this case, Robert's serialization
> >>library would work just fine. And BTW, I'd like to have such thing.

Well, then, stay tuned for libjfa. :-) = stl on disk.

> >I don't know much about Berkley DB, but it looks like it is not relational
> >db (record==serialized object ?). It is very limited comparing to fullblown
> >relational database.

Relational database like SQL are often implemented on top of things like
berkley db. I believe MySQL does this for instance.

---
Wes