From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-25 00:57:40

[2002-11-24] Thomas Wenisch wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just as a note to those scanning files for copyright messages, I was once
>informed by lawyers at one of my former employers that the string "(C)"
>(that is, a capital C in parenthesis) has no legal standing - only the
>word "copyright" or the copyright symbol (not available in ASCII) legally
>imply a claim of copyright.
>
>Whether this is correct or not, I would suggest that Boost err on the side
>of caution. If we are going to scan files for copyright strings, we might
>as well require that they spell out the word "copyright".
>
>Thoughts?

Nice to know, but AFAIK "(C)" does have legal standing; but only if used in
addition to "Copyright". And yes the command as previously posted checked
for "copyright" only :-)

>On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> At 12:36 PM 11/19/2002, Rene Rivera wrote:
>>
>> >I think you did a limited search... only in the headers. There are many
>> >more files without (C). For example most "Jamfile"s don't have one.
>> >
>> >Could you post how you did the search... perhaps this is something for
>> >Beman
>> >to add to the list of checks for releases.
>>
>> Thanks, Rene.

You're welcome ;-) -- Perhaps those of us who are handy with scripts could
help you automate some of the release procedures?

>> It's on my list to add to the scans.

Attached is an updated version of the command. Filters more types of files
out so it can be used in a CVS checkout tree, "dirtied" by compilation
residue. Also outputs the number of files.

Also attached is an updated list of files, currently at ~1579 :-(

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq - Grafik666_at_AIM - Grafik_at_[hidden]