From: Michel André (michel.andre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-25 14:48:43

> So I think we should be careful to keep it simple. I think it is
> interesting that in Hugo's current implementation, no library is
> required. Very nice. I won't be surprised if we need a real
> library at some point, but it won't be anything like the size of
> ACE.

I think we should try to minimize dependencies in boost header files to the
systems/platforms socket implementation files for one thing Winsock2.h is
quite an heavy include (including Windows.h if not already done). This would
affect compile times for platform independent code. I also think this was
one of the requirements from Bemans original document, since not all network
headerfiles is good "citizens", Beman eg mentions macros named "send". See
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/sockets2/Sock-req.html. So I would
like to see that we make the final version of this library a lib or dll to
accomplish what we wan't ie insulate user from the lower layer interface
completely (look at boost.threads that doesn't drag in any system files).

Regards
/Michel