From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-30 02:33:52

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 02:06 AM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Matthias Troyer <troyer_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> In any case the library user should be reminded that short, int and
>> long are never portable
>
> Of course they are perfectly portable!

I don't understand how you mean that. If sizeof(long) on one platform
id larger than sizeof(long) on another platform, then not all numbers
serialized from a long on the one machine can be read on the other.

>> but that by using int*_t and appropriate archive formats one can
>> achieve portable serialization.
>
> I think that's a terribly intrusive restriction to place on user code.

It seems that most users prefer the "standard " types short, int and
long and can live with that decision.

Best regards,

Matthias