From: Vesa Karvonen (vesa_karvonen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-02 02:09:52

Beman Dawes:
>Daryle Walker:
> > 1. The download option from SourceForge just uses our web space as
> > an archive depot. All other SourceForge projects I've seen use
> > SF's downloading facilities (file release). We could switch to it
> > to be more consistent with other SF projects, but we'll also get
> > automatic mirroring.

The SF File Release System also has publicly available download statistics.

Personally, I would probably make the SF FRS the only way to download a
Boost release.

>You're probably right. I'd need help on a few (probably minor)
>issues, however. One of the problems in the past was that I almost
>always make mistakes during the release runup.

One key to getting rid of silly mistakes is to automate any repeating tasks
that can be automated. Automation is liberating.

>SourceForge didn't have ways to back out actions, except to send
>pleading emails to their staff. Hopefully, they've fixed those
>issues by now.

The final step of creating a file release is not particularly easy to
automate. So, the release manager may have to spend a couple of minutes
filling HTML forms.

However, the File Release System does:
- Allow changing the:
  - release notes, etc... and
  - files attached to a release.
- Allow hiding releases.

So, it is possible to either correct (or hide) any mistakes.

The first step in using the SourceForge file release system is to create a
package that will contain releases. This step is done only once. The
toughest part is to select a good package name, but 'boost' sounds good
enough to me.

The steps that need to be repeated for every release are:
- Upload files to upload.sourceforge.net:/incoming.
  (Can be easily automated.)
- Create a file release and attach the uploaded files to the release.
  (Uses forms and is consequently more difficult, but not impossible, to
automate. Takes less than 5 minutes when done manually.)

Regards,
  Vesa Karvonen