From: Damien Fisher (damien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-04 07:36:20

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 02:34:05PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Hi Damien,
>
> >While this is a really complicated issue (which I confess I understand
> >very little about), I think a good start would be to only worry about
> >conversions between various encodings -- I know there are a few facets
> >lying around in the files section at yahoo doing just this.
>
> You're a little bit ambiguous here.

Mainly because I don't really *know* what I'm asking for :).

In my case, I would like conversions between UTF-8, UTF-16, and UCS-4.
But I am sure a library in the full generality would provide conversions
between many more encodings.

(In fact, IIRC UCS-4 raises problems because wchar_t may not be big
enough to store a 32-bit character. Correct?)

> Second interpretation is conversion between all the 8-bit encodings
> out there. E.g. from koi8-r to windows-1251. Since there's GNU
> iconv already, I'd rather see a tiny wrapper over it. (GNU iconv works
> on Windows, too).

I agree that iconv would be nice (especially as it also supports all the
Unicode encodings), except for the licensing issues. I believe iconv is
GPLed, is it not?

Damien