From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-07 13:43:47

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:16:42 +0100, Gennaro Prota
<gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>On 07 Dec 2002 12:26:35 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis
><gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>5.2.10/1:
>> The result of the expression reinterpret_cast<T>(v) is the result of
>> converting the expression v to type T. [...]
>
>Are you saying you really understand what that phrase means?

To avoid a possible misunderstanding: I was not attacking you, that
would be the last straw. It's _the sentence_ that is IMHO a little
meaningless; I think it's just a rough, informal description (sort of
preamble) of what is specified in the subsequent paragraphs.

Well, in fact those subsequent paragraphs intentionally give very few
guarantee, and reinterpret_cast<void*> is exactly one of the cases
which are left unspecified (the guarantee of 5.2.10/7 concerns casting
to pointers to *object types*). So I guess there's not much room for
proving your equivalence.

Genny.