From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-10 13:44:57

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Williams" <anthony.williamsNOSPAM_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] Formal review: Optional library

> Fernando Cacciola writes:

Yes, and that's why I didn't call it empty() :-)
See my reponse to William

> Given empty(), I see no need for peek() _and_ get_value() --- if you can
get a
> reference to the value, you can get its address, if necessary.

Only if the optional<> is initialized.
peek() returns NULL in case the optional<> is uninitialized,
saving the user from having to test for it separately.

In fact, the whole point of pointer semantic is to allow the user to
deal with the uninitialized case conveniently, without having to
test empty() (or whatever) explicitely all the time.

> I prefer the member interface to the non-member interface, in this
instance.

I don't. Member functions are tightly coupled with class types.
As I said earlier, the usages of optional<> easely allows the code to
replace
optional<> with bare pointers.
This wouldn't be possible if member functions were used.

> You might like to use the techniques from my StrongStorage class (see the
> boost files section on yahoo) to ensure integrity in the face of
exceptions
> --- StrongStorage actually provides a very minimal implementation of
> optional<>.

I definitely will need something to increase exception safety in optional<>.
That could be your technique (the double-buffer right?), or Eric Friedman's
Move Library
which he will submit eventualy.
At this point it appears to me that Eric's move traits would be better on
average because
it won't require double storage; though I know your technique, OTOH,
gives the strong guarantee in *all* cases and not just the average.
But we'll have time to talk about this once Eric's move library is on the
table.

> In any case, I say ACCEPT the library.

Great!

Fernando Cacciola