From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-11 19:20:39

At 07:09 AM 12/9/2002, Ben Young wrote:

>I have recently implemented a set of custom output iterators that allow
>you to very trivially do escaping and quoting on data from any kind of
>iterator source...

>Would anyone be interested in these iterators being added to boost? They
>are fully generic, and have some test cases/example usage (though not
much
>more complicated than above)

I think I am.

Sorry to be ambivalent; I have certainly had the need, but never thought of
custom iterators. So I'd want to be sure that was the best way to meet the
need.

Did you consider other approaches? Some form of stream customization, for
example? In some ways the problem seems similar to the formatting issues
for serialization/persistence libraries. Pros and cons of different
approaches?

--Beman

PS: We need to move iterator related stuff out of utility and into a Boost
Iterator library.