From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-16 11:16:57

At 06:56 AM 12/16/2002, Matthias Troyer wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>> A large number of changes to the Filesystem Library have been committed
>> to the CVS main trunk.
>
>Hi Beman,
>
>In a couple of hours I changed all our codes that depend on
>boost::filesystem. Although I did not perform a through review, I had
>no problem using the library. I found the changes to be easily done,
>the documentation to be well written (at least as far as my
>applications are concerned) and am glad that I can now "complete" a
>path in a platform-independent way.

Thanks! I'm hoping the Library will be stable from this point on out.

> While doing so one missing function
>came to my mind (or did I just overlook it). It came to my mind that
>some time in the future I might want to create a relative path, given a
>"complete" path and a "complete" reference directory. Is there such a
>"make_relative" function? Would it be hard to add? Note that I do not
>ned it at this time and there is thus no hurry. I am mostly curious if
>others might have similar needs, and how hard it would be to add it?

Have you looked at path::relative_path()?

You could use it like this:

   a.root_path() / b.relative_path()

To compose a new bath based on a's root information and b's relative
information. Or did I misunderstand what you needed?

--Beman