From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-16 18:13:29

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:27:00PM +0000, Dave Harris wrote:

[snip]

> ... It would be nice if the mechanism for registering and
> creating polymorphic types could be used independently of serialisation,
> rather than being layered on top of it.

This is precisely what a separate reflection library would allow us to
do. I think we should decide either to back the
serialization/persistence library with a reflection library, or
someone should propose an alternative that is equally flexible. I
think that if in particular we include versioning support in the
reflection library, it would allow for automatic serialization in many
cases (i.e. with only the reflection meta-data). Please refer to my

- Jeremy Maitin-Shepard