From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-17 02:53:01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terje Slettebø" <tslettebo_at_[hidden]>

> > I've been converted. I swear! "When I was young, I had to walk to
school
> > in three feet of snow uphill both ways--and, worse yet, I had to program
> in
> > Visual Basic!" It doesn't get any more "wordy" than this:
> >
> > Public Function Sum(ByVal X As Long, ByVal Y As Long) As Long
> > Sum = X + Y
> > End Function
>
> Actually, it does, if you use Pascal. Then you have to throw in
> "begin"/"end" all over the place, as well, in addition to the above. :)

Yeah, I "cheated" slightly anyway. Back when I used VB, you could use '&'
as a shorthand for 'Long'. I *think* it was something like this:

Function Sum&(ByVal X&, ByVal Y&)
    ' ...

I don't know if that is allowed anymore. I've never used VB7.

Actually, I was referring to "real world" languages anyway. Oh, wait a
second.... ;)

> Man: "When I started, we didn't have these sissy windows and icons. All we
> had was ones and zeroes. And sometimes we didn't even have ones."
> Man: "I wrote an entire database just using zeroes."
> Dilbert: "You had zeroes? We had to use the letter "o"."

I like that one. I like the "million lines of spaghetti code--the holy
grail of programming" too. :)

Thanks for the levity, Terje. ;) All it takes is a little talk about VB or
Pascal to give me a good grin (although I do wish C++ had nested functions).

Paul Mensonides